The Associate Director, Policy, is a valued member of the ACHP External Affairs team, focused on public policies affecting Medicaid, Dually Eligible populations, social determinants of health, health equity and other policy areas as needed. This person has deep knowledge in federal policy affecting the health insurance industry, including community health plans and other stakeholders. He/she partners with senior management, including the Policy Director, and member plan government relations leaders and subject matter experts to develop and implement a robust policy agenda and work with colleagues to execute strategic objectives. This individual is flexible, collaborative and has a vision for driving ACHP’s mission to promote not-for-profit, high-quality, payer-provider organizations.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributes to the development and execution of policy analysis in several focus areas: Medicaid, duals, SDOH, health disparities and other areas as needed (e.g., Marketplace coverage)
- Builds strong relationships with ACHP member organizations to advance an advocacy agenda via regulatory and legislative action
- Monitors, anticipates and analyzes relevant policy developments impacting member organizations and helps develop strategies for engagement around them
- Builds and maintains relationships with key policymakers and health care stakeholders in D.C., including the administration, think tanks and associations
- Presents to key internal and external audiences on developments in Washington and on ACHP’s policy work
- Works with colleagues in data analytics and clinical innovation departments to produce deep policy insights that differentiate ACHP member companies
- Ability to synthesize complex policy issues and documents into shorter, easy to understand materials for diverse audiences via multiple channels
- Experience drafting comment letters, issue briefs, talking points and legislative/regulatory language
- Supports the President & CEO and VP, Federal Affairs, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in health, government or law a plus
- 7 + years of experience in combined public policy, health advocacy, or health sector
- 2 + years of supervisory/management experience preferred
- Established, bipartisan relationships in federal agencies, on Capitol Hill and in the DC policy community
- An understanding of how to successfully navigate the Washington political and policy environment
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills; ability to synthesize and present complex information for various audiences
- Strong capabilities with modern communications tool such as PowerPoint, Excel, Twitter and LinkedIn
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is in an office environment
- May be occasionally required to stand, walk or reach with arms
- Some travel
Please submit a resume and cover letter to ACHP Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include Associate Director, Policy, along with your first initial and last name in the subject line of your e-mail message.
ACHP does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, and a woman’s right to breastfeed), disability (physical or mental), age (18 and older), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, political affiliation, marital status, veteran or military status, tobacco use, credit information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Making Health Care Better
ACHP is the voice of a unique approach in health care today, one that puts the patient at the center with plans and clinical teams collaborating to improve health outcomes and reduce costs. Our advocacy focuses on providing policymakers with tested solutions, rooted in a model that is proven to deliver better value for patients, employers and taxpayers.