REPORTS TO: President & CEO
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
The Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) is a leadership organization that brings together innovative community-based, non-profit health plans and provider organizations that are among America’s best at delivering affordable, high-quality coverage and care to their communities. ACHP member organizations provide coverage and care for more than 21 million Americans across 35 states and the District of Columbia. Our members collaborate to identify problems, share information and work toward solutions to health care’s biggest challenges. Their work is the foundation for ACHP’s advocacy on behalf of better health care nationally.
The Vice President of Federal Affairs is responsible for leading ACHP’s policy and advocacy activities, overseeing a broad portfolio of interconnected relationships with policymakers, stakeholders and thought leaders. This role calls for a seasoned strategist equally comfortable guiding policy development, federal lobbying, and advocacy messaging. Successful candidates will be experienced managers, passionate about the mission and vision of ACHP and its members. The Vice President serves the entire ACHP membership by increasing the influence of ACHP and its member organizations. He/she will help drive ACHP’s central role in transforming the health sector and articulating the unique value proposition of provider-aligned, community health plans. He/she must be a creative, collegial leader, respected on both sides of the political aisle. This is a rare opportunity to join a growing, well-regarded, mission-driven organization at a senior level.
- Oversee all lobbying and policy efforts to advance the substantive agenda of ACHP and its member organizations among Members of Congress, Congressional staff, Administration officials, and regulatory staff
- Lead, guide, mentor and manage an experienced, high-performing staff to highest levels of performance
- Foster strong collaborative relationships with ACHP member companies, in particular company GR representatives, to achieve shared goals, particularly in federal policymaking, legislative policy and advocacy messaging
- Build meaningful relationships for ACHP with other organizations, stakeholders and thought leaders to expand support for the alliance’s agenda
- Serve as a public representative of the alliance in stakeholder meetings and events
- Present to the Board of Directors, Plan Government Relations Representatives, Medical Directors and other key internal and external audiences on ACHP’s advocacy work
- Collaborate with ACHP’s Clinical Innovation and Market Competitiveness teams to ensure advocacy and regulatory efforts are aligned with inter-departmental priorities and activity
- Partner closely with the ACHP Communications Dept. to ensure policy priorities are being advanced externally in a coherent, compelling fashion
- Support President and CEO as needed
- Monitor all vendor contracts relating to lobbying and policy research with the Director of Policy and Director of Legislative Affairs
- Other duties as assigned
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- 12 years’ experience in combined public policy and federal health advocacy positions; Capitol Hill and/or HHS/CMS experience preferred
- 8+ years of supervisory/management experience
- Established relationships on Capitol Hill, in the Executive Branch and at health-related organizations
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills’ comfortable using both data and anecdotes to build a compelling case for change
- Experience at a similar trade association or member organization a plus
- Ability to develop creative new approaches to health policy challenges
- Bachelor’s degree in health management, economics, political science or related field
- Proven track record as a successful manager and strategic thinker, able to activate diverse players around a shared goal
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is in an office environment with some travel
- May be occasionally required to stand, walk, or reach with arms
Please submit a CV, cover letter and two writing samples via e-mail to ACHP Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include VP Federal Affairs, along with your first initial and last name in the subject line of your e-mail message.
ACHP does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, and a woman’s right to breastfeed), disability (physical or mental), age (18 and older), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, political affiliation, marital status, veteran or military status, tobacco use, credit information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Making Health Care Better
ACHP is the voice of a unique approach in health care today, one that puts the patient at the center with plans and clinical teams collaborating to improve health outcomes and reduce costs. Our advocacy focuses on providing policymakers with tested solutions, rooted in a model that is proven to deliver better value for patients, employers and taxpayers.