March 30, 2020
By Dan Lemle
In the midst of the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis, the Alliance of Community Health Plans’ (ACHP) nonprofit, community-based health organizations are nimbly innovating to stem the spread of the virus. ACHP’s members’ unique efforts and flexible tools can aid in containing and treating COVID-19, helping secure the health and safety of their communities.
- Kaiser Permanente launched the first COVID-19 vaccine trial. To date, no other COVID-19 vaccine trial has been launched for testing in people
- UPMC developed a new COVID-19 test, filling a critical gap before other commercial tests were available
- Henry Ford Health System researchers are developing a sterilization protocol for masks, which has the potential to help ease the national shortage of these critical items
- Geisinger Health Plan developed a chatbot to help triage and screen patients remotely. In addition, it’s setting up video chat capabilities for admitted patients allowing them to contact their families at home
- Group Health Cooperative of South-Central Wisconsin has developed a desktop droplet barrier made out of everyday items to help protect staff and reduce the risk of infection
In addition to these innovations, ACHP member plans have pledged to waive cost-sharing for COVID-19 testing and will include it as a covered benefit, removing cost as a potential barrier to medically-appropriate testing.
As we continue to face ongoing health care challenges, ACHP members remain dedicated to preventing, containing and treating COVID-19. Committed to the communities they serve, our members see first-hand the impact on the ground.
In communities across the country, ACHP members will continue to lead efforts to address the very real challenges presented by this crisis: Efforts that not only benefit the health of their members, but of our nation as a whole.
Additional information on efforts of ACHP plans and their affiliated systems during this public health crisis is available here.
All media inquiries should be directed to: