April 23, 2020
ACHP and its member companies are developing and deploying real-time solutions to secure the health and safety of their communities during this public health crisis
Covering Treatment and Testing
Deeply committed to the well-being of the communities they serve, the Alliance of Community Health Plans’ (ACHP) member companies continue to expand COVID-19 testing and treatment. In many instances, ACHP plans and their provider partners are going beyond serving their own members to knock down cost barriers for those in need. For example, a member provided emergency response testing at no cost to a hot spot in South Dakota and another completed over 17,000 calls to high-risk members.
Read our release here.
Advocating for Expanded Access and Care
To ensure continuity and access to coverage in this uncertain time, ACHP advocates for a federal Special Enrollment Period (SEP) during the COVID-19 National Emergency. Additionally, ACHP urged Congressional leaders to expand the Health Care Tax Credits (HCTC) Program to cover displaced workers and create a Medicaid Stabilization Fund to expand coverage, among other requests.
- Read our letter to CMS here.
- Read our letter to Administration officials here.
- Read our letter to Congressional leadership here.
Offering Innovative Trials, Tests and Tracing Programs in Communities Nationwide
ACHP member companies are addressing the very real challenges presented by COVID-19 in their communities while prioritizing prevention, testing and treatment. For example:
- Kaiser Permanente launched the first COVID-19 vaccine trial
- UPMC is also partnering with other health organizations on a pilot program to treat COVID-19 patients with blood plasma donated by people who have recovered from the disease
- Geisinger Health has established its first-ever contact tracing program to help slow and ultimately stop the spread of COVID-19
- Sanford Health, the largest provider of rural health care in the country, will lead a comprehensive clinical trial investigating the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine to understand its role in treating and potentially preventing COVID-19
Additional information on efforts of ACHP plans and their affiliated systems during this public health crisis is available here.
Please contact Dan Lemle with any questions.