November 10, 2021
As prices continue to soar across the health care system, the Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) is delivering on its promise to address affordability.
In 2020, the ACHP Board of Directors pledged to take tangible steps to increase the value of every dollar spent on health care and report annually on member companies’ progress. ACHP’s inaugural Report on Affordability offers successful strategies for reducing health care costs in communities nationwide.
Key findings from ACHP’s 2021 Report on Affordability
In the last year, ACHP members:
- Reduced or held flat insurance premiums, with some reductions by as much as 10 percent.
- Added new or expanded benefits without increasing costs to consumers.
- Moved acute and recovery services out of the hospital and into the home, generating savings and improved patient satisfaction.
- Offered price transparency tools, enabling patients and their families to shop by price, personalized benefits and services.
- Expanded telehealth, including three plans that launched first-of-their-kind virtual-first insurance products for premium savings of up to 20 percent.
“Skyrocketing health care costs is a vital issue for our nation, and we can’t afford to wait for government and other health care players to address this issue: we must tackle it head-on,” said ACHP President and CEO Ceci Connolly. “Our community health plans are working every day to contain costs while delivering accessible, easy-to-navigate services that result in better health. We are proud to share these insights so that others can take advantage of on-the-ground learnings by ACHP member companies.”
The 2021 Report on Affordability details member company innovations that drive quality and patient satisfaction. By creating flexible products to meet consumer needs, using technology to streamline existing processes and bringing services to the patient, ACHP members demonstrate their commitment to delivering higher-value coverage and care.
Read more in Health Care 2030: ACHP’s Roadmap to Reform.