April 9, 2020
The COVID-19 public health crisis continues to exert extreme pressures on all facets of our health care system. Steady infection rates and inadequate test supplies are only further straining our ability to diagnose, track and contain COVID-19.
The nonprofit members of the Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) are innovating with their provider partners to increase testing access and capabilities in their communities. For example:
- UPMC developed a new COVID-19 test, filling a critical gap before other commercial tests were available
- Baylor Scott & White has deployed two drive-through testing sites with a third on the way and the Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Foundation will open a drive-thru COVID-19 testing site
- Sanford Health has deployed rapid COVID-19 tests that provide results within 90 minutes. The addition of these tests will increase Sanford’s testing abilities by 1,500 tests per week
- Martin’s Point Health Care is the first in the state to deploy a new rapid COVID-19 test at multiple mobile testing sites. The test delivers results in just minutes.
- Henry Ford Health System of Michigan is conducting triage in tents to reduce the risk of infection
Additionally, members are deploying innovations in treatment and flexible tools, enhanced telehealth options and personal protection equipment developments for frontline medical workers. And numerous plans, including AvMed, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Health Alliance Plan (HAP) and Security Health Plan are offering early prescription refills and 90-day supplies of maintenance medications.
ACHP members are ingrained in the communities they serve. Through testing access and other thoughtful approaches, they’re working to secure the health and safety of members every day.
Additional information on efforts of ACHP plans and their affiliated systems during this public health crisis is available here.